Welcome to the web site of Prescot Parish Church - An ancient place of beauty, set apart for the worship of God and the coming together of his people. -     "To seek to discern God's will for all the work and worship of our Parish. We pledge ourselves to make our Church a place where people of every age and stage of faith can find acceptance, the discovery of God's presence and real help in their life's journey."    


1100-1199 1200-1299 1300-1399 1400-1499 1500-1599 1600-1699 1700-1799 1800-1899 1900-1999 2000-2099

Circa 1179
Barcadus or Ricardus
New Rector (The "Pipe" Rolls commence about this period. No earlier source available for records of previous Rectors.)
Circa 1190
New Rector
Circa 1205
New Rector
Circa1245
New Rector
1266
New Rector (The Bishop of Lichfield by lapse. Also Rector of Coddinton.)
1303
New Rector (Appointed Chamberlain and Receiver in Scotland by Edward II. in 1307
13 May, 1309
New Rector (Patron: Sir William de Dacre and Joanna his wife; Resigned in 1323.)
1323
New Rector (Patrons: Hary de Munstall and Joanna de Dacre his wife.)
1325
New Rector (Resumed the Rectory.)
5 May, 1346
New Rector (Became Baron Dacre in 1361.)
18 Apr 1375
New Rector (Patron: Sir John de Nevill.)
1393
John Fairfax Died in 1393 and his will which was proved June 25th 1393 left money to build a Tower of Stone for the Church.  
25 June, 1393
New Rector (Patron: John, Duke of Lancaster. Canon of Lincoln and Prebendary of Lichfield.)
23 Oct. 1403
New Rector (Patron; Henry IV, Bishop of Hereford, 1417; Translated to Exeter, 1420.)
1410
Oldest part of the church. Originally a chantry chapel
28 Apr 1417
New Rector (Patron: Henry V, Bishop of Worcester, 1419; Archbishop of York, 1423,)
(?) 1419
New Rector (Patron: Henry V, Bishop of London, 1436,)
6 Nov. 1436
New Rector (Patron: Henry VI. Chancellor of Salisbury; Bishop of Chichester, 1438.)
2 Aug. 1438
New Rector (Patron: Henry VI. Archdeacon successively of Middlesex, Salisbury, and Cleveland.)
4 Nov. 1441
New Rector (Patron: Henry VI. Bishop of Lichfield, 1447; Archbisop of York, 1552;
1448
New Vicar
1448
A vicarage was endowed
6 July 1471
New Vicar
7 Aug. 1492
New Vicar (He was elected 8th Provost of King's in 1509, the year in which Henry VIII came to the throne.)
1509
Robert Noke, New Vicar ( Susequently apponted Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, by Cardinal Wolsey.) (Died 1529)  
14 Dec. 1529
New Vicar (Canon Residentiary of St. Paul's and a Benefactor to King's College. In his time the Reformation of the Church began;.)(Died 1541)
1536
English Bible was issued to be read in all Churches.  
15 April, 1541
New Vicar ( 1556. Robert Brassy was elected 13th Provost of Kings 1556,) ( Died 1558.)
1541
The Diocese of Chester was formed.  
1546
Prescot Church can have 4 Churchwardens under a Bishop's Order of 1546  
1549
The English Prayer Book issued  
25 Dec. 1558
New Vicar (Prebend of Lichfield.) (Died 1583)
26 Dec. 1583
New Vicar (Chaplain to the Earl of Essex, Earl Marshal of England.) (Died 1616)
1610
The chancel and nave were rebuilt
1611
The present Authorised Version of the Bible issued  
1611
The may have been pewed 1611 or 1616  
1616
Thomas Mead enlarged, reroofed, and pewed the Church.
5 Dec. 1616
Vicar (He acted as Justice of the Peace for Prescote during the troublous times of King Charles I.)
1638
From Churchwardens accounts a Mr. John Taylor was paid 6d for blowing the bellows of the Church Organ.  
21 Feb. 1642–3
Vicar
June, 1650
Vicar (He was not instituted for some reason unknown.)
22 Aug. 1650-
8 Nov. 1662
Vicar
29 June, 1667
Vicar
24 July, 1677
Vicar (He became a Roman Catholie in the reign of James II.-- returned to the Church when James was driven from the throne--resigned in the 2nd year of William and Mary (1690)
18 July, 1690
Vicar ("Per Liberam et spontaneam reesignationem Edw. Goodall")
18 Mar. 1691–2
Vicar Reaigned at Christmas, 1699.)
8 May, 1700
Vicar
1720's
A second vicarage was built
28 July, 1722
Vicar (He had the Vicarage 1728, and the Tower of the Church 1729 built.)
1729
New tower and spire replaced an earlier 14th century construction
18 Sept. 1730
Vicar
1755
Italian Marble Vase Font was given by the Willis Family of Halsnead Park Whiston
11 July, 1776
Vicar
1784
Prescot Sunday School was Founded Top of Page
1798
Replaced the old spire with a slimmer one
1806
New Clock Face  
11 July, 1815
Vicar
1818
Both side aisles were enlarged from the narrow ones of 1610
1824-1826
Thomas Boultbee
Curate
 
1845
The old peal of 6 Bells was given to St. Michael's of Huyton
 
1845
1847-1848
Arthur Stock Curate  
9 Dec. 1848
Vicar
28 July, 1849
Vicar
1850
The Ancient Norman Font was given to St. Bartholomew's Church in Roby
1865-1872
Geo. Holloway Curate  
1868
Church clock had a white face
1871
The Eleven small lancent widows above the chancel arch are Victorian
1875
An Organ chamber was made between the North Vestry and the North East corner of the North Aisle in 1875
1875
The nave horsebox pews of 1617 where replaced by the present ones and the galleries removed
1876
The Reading Desk
1880
Liverpool Diocese founded in 1880 Coat of Arms on the left of the arch
1882-?
Frederick R. Lee Curate  
1883
The bells were rehung by Taylor's. in 1883  
24 Jan. 1883
Vicar
2 Feb. 1887 1919
Vicar
1887-1889
D.Holland Stubbs Curate  
1897
The Lectern dates from 1897 and commemorates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
1888
The first Prescot Parish Magazine was published
1889-1891
J. Jackson Curate  
1891-
Edward James Wood Curate
1891
The Reredos (In memory of William Lees Evans, Elizabeth Glaister his wife dedicated this reredos)
1892
The Prescot Parish Room, Foundation Stone laid by Lady Margaret E. Cecil Oct 8th 1892
1892-1902
Richard Freeman Curate  
1899
New bell ropes fitted in 1899.
1899
A new stop was added to the Organ by Mr Porritt
1899
The New Choir Vestry was built by Messrs S & A Taylor.
1900
The Choir Vestry was dedicated By Archdeacon Madded.
1900
The Choir wore surplice for the First time at the Dedication of their Vestry  
1902
The ropes of the church clock where changed to wire.  
1902
The Twelve ornamental stones on the battlements were removed from the top of the tower. The church people askd for them to be put back, so they were lowed by seven inches.  
1902-1905
Fred Graham Paterson Curate  
1905
Fred Graham Paterson resarched the past Rectors of Presecote (Prescot).  
1905 - ?
E. B. Dobree Curate  
1905-1908
Wiliam Ernest Dugmore Curate  
1908
A. E. Bass Curate  
1912 - ?
J. W. Dunlop Curate  
1914 - ?
J, H. Dawson Curate  
1919 - 1939
Vicar
1919-1920
W S Jones Curate  
1920-1925
John Hignett Bankes Curate  
1920
John Ogle Chair
1900-1930
Prescot Parish Church Band
was active around this date
1920 - ?
John Hignett Bankes Curate  
1921-1923
Harry Sandford Bolton Curate  
1921
Steeple Jacks re-fix the Lion Weather Vane ontop of the spire after it fell off
1921
The Rood Screen was dedicated on St. George's Day and is a Memorial to Prescot Men who fell in the First World War
1923
New West Porch doors ((Presented by the members of the Women's Bible Class and their Leader Agnes Halsall Easter 1923)  
1925-27
William Llewellyn Wall Curate
1925
St Mary's House was bought
1925
Two Panels given by Pilington Glass.
1925
Black Marble steps presented by Mr Alfred Taylor for the sanctuary.
1925
Mr R. H. Whitaker presented 4 Churchwardens' Staves
1928-1931
Arthur Herbert Procter VC Curate  
1929
Mother's Union first meetting 10th July 1929
1930
Litany Desk Dedicated 26 Jan 1930 Presented by Mr Arundel Mawdsley in memory of his Father and Mother James and Mary Jane Mawdsley and is carved in oak.
1931-1934
John David Jones Curate  
1931
Mother's Union Banner dedicated 1931
1934
New robes for the Church Choir
1934
Bells re-tuned , and re-hung 3 March 1934
1935--1938
Henry Ellis Curate
1935
First time in the history of Prescot Church the Bishop held an Ordination Service for Deacons and Priests 22 Dec 1935
1935-1944
Harry Bradshaw Curate  
1935
The Ancient font given to St. Bartholomew's was rescued by Canon Mitchell's daughters and returned to Prescot Church
1936
Re-dedication of the old Font that returned from Roby Church 16 July  
1937
The Childrens Corner was Dedicated July 18  
1938
The Layland Window was Dedicated 27 March 1938  
1938-1940's
William Watson. He was called up for war service Curate`  
1939
Vicar
1940
All Saints' church was opened February 1940 by the Bishop of Liverpool, Dr. A A David  
1941-1943
E.J. Lewis Curate
1941-1946
Harold J R Firth Stood in for the Vicar when he was called up for the war  
1943
J.Philip. Hobson Curate
1944
W. Watson returned back from war service Curate  
1946 - ?
Robert J. Smith Curate  
1946-1947
John. H. Edmunds Curate  
1947
R. Marsden Curate  
1947-1949
Eric.S.Wood Curate  
1949-1950
Robert H. Hyslop Curate  
1950-1951
John. G. H. Roberts Curate  
1952-1955
Geoffrey Sturman Curate
1952
The Clothing Club closed it ran for some 70 years
1952
The Battlements were replaced on the south side roof after 135 years
1953
First Meeting of the Historic Church Preservation Trust
1953
The Driffield Memorial Window was moved from the North side to the West side
1954
The stone work for the north side was done by William Moss & Sons Ltd.
1955
The new Mission Church Architect (Mr Wm. Reakes), with Messrs A. McColl & Son (Builders) Ltd. of St. Helens.
1955-?
Duncan M Whyte Curate  
1956
21th January Foundation Stone laid for St. Paul's Church by the Dean of King's College Cambridge
1956
18th November St. Paul's Mission Church was opened and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Liverpool.
1956-58
Kenneth P J King
Church Army (Curate) and also at St. Paul's
-1957
William Temple Bourne
Curate (who acted as priest in charge during the interregnum)
1957-1963
Vicar
1957
A third vicarage was built on the same site (The cost was in the region of £7,680.)
1957
Restoration of The Church Organ. The console to be moved it to east end of the south aisle, between the prayer desk and the children's corner and level with the front pew.
1958
Mr & Mrs Case Presented Prescot Church with a Organ Console Screen in memorial to their son Leslie who died on Active Service.
1958-1959
William Gale Curate and also at St. Paul's
1959
Chancel Screen cleaned and gilded, two new Coats of Arms introduced above the chancel arch, one of the Diocese of Liverpool and the other of King's College Cambridge which is, of course, that of Prescot also.
1959
New Chalices For St Paul's Church
1959-1962
Fred Harrison Curate
1959-1961
Derek Lunt Curate and also at St. Paul's
1961
St Paul's Church Font and a new Processional Cross was dedicated
1961
St Paul's Church Organ is a two -manual pipe organ from T C Wilcock Ltd Sheffield was dedicated in 1961
1962-64
Donald Postles Curate and also at St. Paul's
1962-1962
A R Linton Curate  
1963
Vicar
1964-1965
Bernard Gribbon Curate and also at St. Paul's
1964-1967
E Swinnerton Curate  
1965-1970
John Higham Curate and also at St. Paul's
1966
The Bell's did not ring from September 1966  
1966-1968
Peter Goodrich Curate  
1968-1971
John S Cox Curate  
1971
Mother's Union Banner dedicated 1971 (made by Mrs Anderson)
 
1972-1973
Sydney Connolly
Curate and also at St. Paul's
1971-1976
Jonathan C Anders Curate and also at St. Paul's
1974-1977
Kelvin Powell Curate  
1977-1979
Michael Graham Whittock Curate and also at St. Paul's
1977-1980
Peter Edwin Ball Curate  
1979-1981
Raymond Hutchinson Curate and also at St. Paul's
1981-1983
Andrew James Curate  
1982-1984
David Flewker Curate and also at St. Paul's
1983-1986
Paul Ormrod Curate  
1984
200th Anniversary of the Sunday School  
1984-1987
Chris Cottee Curate and also at St. Paul's
1985
The old East window of 1841 was removed because of deterioration and vandalism
1986-1989
Dave Peachell Curate  
1986
The spire was declared unsafe and 12 feet had to be removed from the top
1988
Vicar
1989
Paschal Candle Stand given in memory of James & Louisa Cowen by their children Ron & Elaine Easter 1989
 
1989-1991
Steven Smith Curate  
1991-2003
Vicar
1992-1994
Jeffrey D Engel Curate  
1992
Top of Spire restored to the spire which was removed in 1986
1994
1st May The Inauguration of the rebuilt Clock
1994
4th July New metal frame was installed on the floor below the ancient wooden bell frame. The ancient wooden bell frame was left in-situ on the 2nd floor.
1994-1998
Ainsley Swift Curate  
1994
1st August The bells of 1845 arrived back in Prescot
1994
3rd August The bells of 1884 were re-hung on a new metal frame and consecrated.
1994
7th October Official Pre-inaugural practice ring (required by the contractors). This was also the 450th Anniversary of Prescot School Founders Day Service. The bells rang out before and after the service.
1994
6th December Dedication & Inauguration of the Bells by The Duke of Gloucester and The Archdeacon of Warrington
1995
1st.  Peal rung on the Bells since they were re-tuned and re-hung in the new bell frame 28 April 1995.
1996
St. Paul's Church 40th Anniversary celebration 18th November 1996
1997
The Prescot Parish Church Preservation Society was dissolved 29 April 1997
1998
The Votire Candle Stand was given in memory of Margaret Jones by her Family & Friends  
1997-2001
Peter Cowley Church Army (Curate) and also at St. Paul's
1998
The Chancel Screen was coloured black and gilding  
1998-2001
Susan Jean Williams Curate  
1999
The Church Web Site went live 16 April 1999  
2000
Ting-Tang or Calling bell was present by Tom and Joyce Wignall in memory of Joyce's sister Renee Green. (Dedicated 13th February 2000) it came from St. Bridgets Wavertree  
2000
Re-Inauguration of newly-combined All Saints' and the Parish Church. (2 July 2000)
2000
Inauguration of the church mechanism enabling the church clock to strike the hours on the seventh bell.  (10 Sep 2000)
2001
Aumbry Dedicated in memory of Margaret Rowlands 15th April 2001  
2001
All Saints closed 2 September 2001  
2001-2013
David Rose Ordained Local Minister  
2002
The backs to the 17 Century return stalls where lowered
2004
Vicar
2004
The Great sound board of the organ was renovated and pipes cleaned and tuned  
2004
The windows were coverd by polycarbonate sheets and guards  
2005-2009
Philip G Anderson
Curate
2005
The North and South roof of the aisles where re-asphalted  
2006
The slate louvers re fixed on the steeple  
2006
St. Paul's 50th Anniversary 18 Nov 2006  
2006
Vestments: A new Chasuble, Dalmatic, Tunicle have been presented in memory of Fred Finney (made by a parish member).  
2007
New lighting in the Church using money from the Rimmer Bequest.   (Dedicated 3rd. February 2008)  
2009-2012
Peter Cowley Non Stipendiary Minister
2009-2011
Janet Fletcher Associate Priest  
2010-2013
Peter Smyth Curate
3 Oct 2010
Dedication of Prescot Church by Rt. Revd. James Jones, Bishop of Liverpool  
2010
The Childrens Corner was moved from the South East end to Mid South Side by the South Door of the Church  
2010
9th Nov 2010 Visit of His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent (One of the Services to celebrate the 400th. Anniversary of the Church)  
2012

New floor was installed in the tower below cross arms of the clock.

 
2012
Dedication of the new Nave Altar & Platform by The Right Rev'd Ricdard Blackburn The Bishop of Warrington. given by Rev'd Jeff Engel in memory of Elsie and Harold Engel.  
2012
Rededication of the Meeting Room by The Right Rev'd Ricdard Blackburn
Aug 2013
In Aug. 2013 some restoration work some restoration work was done on the clock and a new part was made by Mr. Philip N. Irvine of Southport.
2014
Roof Timber
Dec 2014
Replacement for the cracked 6th bell with the 7th bell from Christ Church, Bath. The 7th bell was also half turned.  
Dec 2014
Revd. Peter Cowley SSM  
2015
Prescot War Memorial was granted Grade II listed status by Historic England.  
2015
Ex-All Saints bell was bought by Murubons Church, Kasulu, Tanzania.  
2015
Handrail added in churchyard by Friends of Prescot Cemetery & Churchyard.  
2015
The gnomon was rernewed on the Sundial in the Remembrance Garden by Friends of Prescot Cemetery & Churchyard.  
2015
Friends of Prescot Cemetery & Churchyard won the Green Flag Award (which is a benchmark national standard for parks and green spaces in the UK)  
2016
Captain Peter Cowley Non Stipendiary Minister  
2016
Rev Canon John Taylor Appointed as a Chaplain to Her Majesty the Queen  
28 Oct 2016
The Sundial baseplate and gnomon was stolen from the Remembrance Garden
1100-1199 1200-1299 1300-1399 1400-1499 1500-1599 1600-1699 1700-1799 1800-1899 1900-1999 2000-2099

     Prescot Church on  Twitter      Prescot church uses Smat Water      A-Z Prescot Church Website     Photos of Prescot Church
Homepage    Top     Site Map 

 Tel Vicar:- Tele No. 0151 426 6719     -      Webmaster