||- 2 -
John Ogle's Chair
One of Prescot's greatest treasures is a carved chair,
apparently given in 1610 to commemorate the rebuilding of the church in
that year and inscribed 'Saint Maria Ye Blessed Virgin, Prescot Parishe,
Com Lancs' ('Com' is short for 'Comitatus', the Latin for 'County').
On the chair back are the arms and motto of the Ogles and the date '1610',
together with exquisitely carved scenes of the Annunciation to Mary and
the appearance of the Risen Christ to his mother. The chair also bears
monograms of the Virgin Mary, together with the names of Thomas Meade
(the vicar at that time) and of John Ogle (one of the local gentry). Ogle
is thought to have contributed largely to the rebuilding.
The chair was lost for many years before
being discovered at an auction in Manchester in 1920. It was bought by
a well-wisher and returned to Prescot. It stands beside the altar and
is in regular use as the celebrant's chair.