|- 10 -
The spacious and lofty 96ft. long nave is a most striking feature of Prescot church. Built in 1610, it is one of the last examples of true ecclesiastical Gothic architecture in England before it was superseded by the Renaissance style. The magnificent ‘Jacobean' black oak beamed roof is one of the best in the county of Lancashire . It is supported by 11 roof trusses of alternatively hammer and tie beams. The brackets of the hammer beams and the braces under the tie beams are finely carved. On the North side one bracket can be seen with the name of “Thomas Bold, Knight 1610 whilst on the reverse is “Ladibrigit” his Wyffe.” On the South side is the Arms of the Ogle family. These inscriptions stand directly above the original sites of those families' pews.
The sandstone octagonal pillars supporting the north and south arcades of five bays have plainly moulded capitals of one chamfered order. The five bays have pointed arches and the clerestory windows above them are in the Tudor style of mullioned windows. Some armorial arms of knights/gentry who lived in the vast parish can be seen high up on the nave walls close to where their family pews were.
The church was re-pewed in 1879 and the hexagonal pulpit which stands on a neat stone stem was made to match in medium oak with delicate perpendicular tracery to match the west wall and lancet windows of the side aisles which were widened in 1818. To the right of the chancel arch is a lectern in the form of an eagle, an emblem of St. John and this was given by the parishioners in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Tel Vicar:- Tele No. 0151
426 6719 -