Homepage - Forward - Back - Site Map
|- 3 -
Effigy of John Ogle
By the vestry door, in a most unusual upright position, is a life-size plaster effigy of John Ogle of Whiston Hall (died 1612), thought to have been a major contributor to the church rebuilding in 1610. The ancient family of Ogle came from Northumberland in the 16th century and held lands in Roby, Whiston and Prescot. Ogle was cited as a non-communicant in 1591. The Ogle family arms appear three times in the church: above the effigy, on a heraldic tablet in the nave and carved in the roof timbers.