|- 9 -
High on the walls of the nave, and in each case directly over the family pew, are the painted stone arms of eight gentry families thought to have contributed most (probably through the church rates) to the rebuilding of the church in 1610. Looking clockwise from the west the arms are those of Richard Bold of Bold; Edward Eccleston of Eccleston; Sir Thomas Gerard; John Ogle of Whiston; Francis Watmough of Micklehead in Sutton; William, 6th Earl of Derby; Sir Thomas Tyldesley; Henry Byrom of Parr. The heraldic colours were repainted, with advice from the College of Arms, in 1998.
Above the chancel arch are, to the left, the arms of the Diocese of Liverpool and to the right, those of King's College, Cambridge, which also serve as the arms of the town of Prescot.
|Coats of Arms in Prescot Church|